Tips for interviewing
A few pointers to help you get the most from interviewing:
- Structure the interview, have an agenda and inform the candidate so they can manage your expectations.
- Be clear about what you are looking for - in terms of experience, personality and skills and prepare questions to assess the candidates suitability
- Prepare questions based on areas on the CV which you would like to probe
- Select a relaxed professional venue, free from interruptions
- Read the CV and the job spec again prior to interview
- Set objectives on which to asses all candidates
- Start off by giving company history
- Put the applicant at ease - be aware that the applicant could be nervous
- Allow adequate time for interviews - if you plan particularly long or short interviews let the candidate know.
- If you are looking for any specific skills or attributes devise relevant questions to cover them
- Confirm budgets and benefits
- If you are unsure of anything - asks your consultant, don't forget we are here to help!
- Ensure candidates leave with a good impression of you and the company, even if they are not right for this role there may be others in the future
- Summarise at the end - check to see all candidates questions are answered, and let them know the next steps
- Record feedback
- Respond quickly - capture your thoughts - good candidates get snapped up very quickly!
- Be aware of the legalities of your records or ask us for advice