Reasons for a change – is the passion there?
When people talk about passion, it usually relates to interests or activities outside of work, but there are a lucky few out there who feel genuinely passionate about their jobs and the career path that they are on.
Often, people who have achieved such positions have asked themselves some serious questions about what they want, and have had some good reasons for wanting to make a change. If the New Year has made you think twice about the role you’re in, then it might be time to perhaps consider a change, particularly if your current position raises any of the following concerns:
Perhaps you’re in the right line of work, but the culture within the company you work for doesn’t suit your personality, aspirations or work ethic. It can be very demotivating working for a business that doesn’t match up to the environment and interaction needed for a fulfilling job.Questions to ask:
- Does your company reflect your values?
- Is your company heading in the right direction for your own aspirations?
- Do you have any difficulties with your company’s ethical policy?
Ok, it's not everything, but achieving the right salary and benefits package can go a long way to enhancing your life and perspective on work. A change of role often brings a salary increase with it, so perhaps your financial future might be best served elsewhere.Questions to ask:
- Is your salary comparable with similar roles elsewhere in your field?
- Does your salary match the work and commitment you put into the role?
- What kind of realistic salary increase would make a real difference to your life?
Undervalued and Not Progressing
One of the most common complaints from people who need a career or employment change is that their performance is often undervalued by their peers and colleagues. It can be all too easy to slot into a routine where there is little development for your skills or reward for your efforts.Questions to ask:
- Do you think that you are valued by your company for the work that you do?
- Does your company offer you a realistic career path and personal development plan?
- Is a lack of progression at work impacting on other areas of your life?
Seeking out fresh challenges is an essential component of life, both in the workplace and outside of it. If you feel that your current role offers you few challenges, both now and in the future, then it’s time to act. A change of job, particularly finding the right one, can be one of the most stimulating things a person can do.Questions to ask:
- Do you feel intellectually stretched and emotionally fulfilled in your current role?
- Are there enough opportunities to keep the work that you do fresh and engaging?
- Do you wish that you were being challenged more?
At the end of the day it’s down to you, and how you feel about where you are and what you do when you’re working. Whether your opinion is shaped by any of the concerns above, or whether you just feel it’s time for a change then congratulations, this could be the best move you’ve made in ages.
Regan & Dean is a specialist consultancy that believes in placing talented people into roles that they can genuinely feel passionate about. We love what we do, and we think you’ll love the service we provide. Check out our jobs in Events & Communications, Marketing & Business Development or Office Support, Secretarial & HR. We would love to hear from you, so Click Here to get in touch.
To see what kind of skills you have, and how they might boost your chances of finding the perfect career opportunity, Click Here.